** Le manuel d’utilisation francais sur le site Web **
** Instrucciones en espanol disponible en la pagina web **
WARNING: Risk of electric shock. This pump is supplied with a grounding conductor and a grounding-type attachment plug.
To reduce the risk of electric shock, be certain that it is connected only to a properly grounded grounding-type receptacle.
|Package Contents||Items needed to Install the Chilipepper|
|The Chilipepper Appliance||Two Stainless Steel or Braided hoses:|
|Hex Adjusting Tool||3/8″ Comp x 1/2″ FIP|
|Temperature Adjusting Screw Driver||5/8″ Drill Bit for the Button|
|One push button with cable||Wrench for the hoses|
|Two brass “T” fittings||110 Volt Outlet|
ANY OF THESE ITEMS CAN VOID THE WARRANTY
* Flexible hosing MUST be used. The Chilipepper was NOT designed
for rigid pipe connections.
* Be careful connecting or disconnecting the hoses to the Chilipepper,
too much torque could damage or break the pump head.
* DO NOT USE pipe dope on the connections to the Chilipepper,
(Teflon tape is OK). Pipe Dope could get into the pump impeller and
slow it down or burn up the pump.
* The Chilipepper IS NOT waterproof.
Dry off the unit as soon as possible if it gets wet.
INSTALLING THE CHILIPEPPER
1. Turn off the Hot and Cold water shut-off valves under the sink that
Supply water to the sink fixture. (Fig 1)
2. Open the faucet to relieve any system pressure.
3. Disconnect the existing hoses from both shut-off valves.
4. Connect the brass T’s to the shut-off valves. (Fig 2)
(Most homes have 3/8 in. compression fittings on the shut-off valves
but if the thread size is different a brass adaptor will be needed.)
Chilipepper Sales Inc., 1380 Greg St. #221, Sparks, NV 89431 775-359-1223 2
5. Inspect the rubber washers in the hoses to make sure they can be reused and
then connect the two existing hoses to the brass T’s. (Fig 3)
6. Connect two new hoses to the Chilipepper, (Fig 4) and placing the unit on
the floor of the cabinet.
7. Connect the remaining end of the hoses to the brass T’s, making sure the
Hot and Cold hoses are connected to the correct inlet and outlet. (Fig 4 & Fig 6)
8. Now prime the pump before plugging into the outlet.
PRIMING THE PUMP IS VERY IMPORTANT
There is a ON and OFF switch at the base of the pump,
make sure to turn it ON.
A. Turn ON the HOT water supply valve UNDER THE SINK FIRST.
B. Then Turn the COLD water ON at the SINK FIXTURE NEXT and let the water run thru the Chilipepper.
C. This will bleed the air out of the lines and the Chilipepper.
D. Finally turn the COLD water supply valve ON under the sink.
E. CHECK FOR LEAKS.
F. If you see any leaks around the pump head, tighten the phillip screws above the leak. (Fig 7)
An old plumber’s trick is to place a clean newspaper under the connection after the installation.
If there’s a leak it will be easy to find.
9. To install the push button, drill a 5/8″ hole in the cabinet where you want the button located. Feed the
cable through the hole in the cabinet, the small hole in the container lid and connect the two cables to the
push connectors on the Chilipepper. (Fig 8) Push the button into the cabinet hole.
If additional buttons are used, wire them in parallel with the first button or connect to the
Do not use illuminated buttons for they will turn the Chilipepper on continuously.
10. Before pressing the button, turn the hot and cold water ON at the faucet with a low flow, then
press the button for the Chilipepper. This will remove any remaining air from the lines and finish the
priming of the pump.
Operation of the Chilipepper appliance without water
can damage the pump and void the warranty.
11. After a final inspection for leaks the Chilipepper can be put into the plastic container, then cut a
slit in the foam cover for the hoses and wires and place on top of the plastic container.
The foam cover will help quiet the Chilipepper.
After a few days it’s a good idea to check the container for water
to make sure there is no water inside.
On the side of the Chilipepper there is a round opening (Fig 9), inside the opening is a Sensitivity adjustment.
The adjustment can be done with the Temperature adjusting screw driver or a small flat-head screw driver.
Turning the sensitivity adjustment clockwise increases the distance the hot water travels and will result in
hotter water at the faucet. This may cause some warm water to enter the cold water line for a few feet
but the warm water will be removed when the faucet is used.
Turning the Sensitivity counter-clockwise reduces the distance the hot water travels.
When the button is pressed and there’s hot water in the Chilipepper,
the pump will jog 1 time and not turn on.
Note: There is some leakage possible through the Chilipepper pump from hot to cold.
When working on the plumbing in a home where the Chilipepper is installed it may
be necessary to shut the hot or cold valve off at the fixture where the Chilipepper is
installed, to isolate the hot and cold water lines during plumbing repairs.
Press the start button and nothing happens. 1. Be sure there is electricity at the outlet. Sometimes
the disposal outlet has only one of the two receptacles switched, and sometimes the whole outlet is
switched. 2. Check the button wire connections at the Chilipepper. (Fig 8)
The Chilipepper runs but hot water doesn’t reach the sink, or takes longer than without
Make sure that both shut off valves under the sink are fully turned on.
The Chilipepper runs without pushing the button. 1. Check the control wires connected to the
button to make sure they are not touching.
2. Also make sure the button or buttons being used are non-lighted.
3. If the control wires are touching anywhere or because of a button or remote malfunction
the pump will cycle 2 short bursts, 1/4 second each, every 15 seconds until the problem is resolved.
Hot water is in my cold line when the Chilipepper has not been operating.
There are 3 reasons for this to happen:
1. The Chilipepper is much higher than the water heater.
2. There is an exterior hose bib or sprinkler line very close to where the Chilipepper is installed.
3. The spring check valve is dirty.
To correct #1 and #2 the spring check valve needs more pressure on it by using the Hex Adjusting
Tool. (Fig 10) Start with one rotation. This will put more pressure on the spring and requiring more
water pressure to open the check valve.
To Correct #3 the check valve needs to be cleaned.
How to clean the spring loaded check valve.
First the Temperature sensor has to be disconnected at the bottom of the Chilipepper. This is done by
pulling on the white connector and wiggling it side to side at the same time.
DO NOT PULL ON THE WIRES
Unthread the brass adaptor from the cold side (Fig 4) of the Chilipepper appliance. Remove the threaded
retainer with the Hex adjusting tool in and remove the spring and rubber Check valve. Check for dirt,
sand, etc. and clean, then replace the check valve, spring, threaded retainer, brass adaptor and
connect the temperature sensor.